If you have low back pain that has recently developed or is a recurrent issue, it's easy to get discouraged. Low back pain can threaten independence, make you feel like you're dependent on pills, and really impede you living the life you want to live.
You're not alone. In fact, low back pain is the most common problem we encounter in our clinical practice. Most people come to see us for physical therapy because they want to be in the driver seat of their body and their health.
Is back pain normal?
Low back pain is way too common in our society. In fact, it’s the most common issue I see in my clinical practice.
Likely, your back pain is stopping you from doing the things you love like hiking, playing with the grandkids, or exercising.
Does this sound like you?
If you dig deeper, it may be interfering with your sense of independence, ability to be present and play the role in your grandkids life you want to play, or to be able to lose weight so you can build confidence and feel healthy and vibrant.
It can leave you wondering what life will be like 10 years from now if the pain continues to progress and affect your life. Will you be able to be the grandparent who is fun and makes memories with your grandkids? Will you be able to go on a hike with your friends in the mountains? Will you be able to enjoy traveling with your spouse?
Is this your story?
You’ve probably been to your primary care doc and been told you have arthritis, degenerative joint disease, sciatica or that your pain is part of getting older.
I’m all for diagnosing the patients I see to help them understand what’s going on. But, giving someone a diagnosis without telling them what to do to get rid of it isn’t helpful.
Most medical professionals want to give you pills, injections, or surgery. But isn’t this just masking the problem? Instead of thinking critically and guiding people as they make habitual changes to their lives so they can live pain free, we are crippling them by giving them quick fixes.
Spinal surgeries have increased by 200% in the past 20 years, yet there are still just as many people suffering from low back pain. Sadly, it’s likely the increase in spinal surgeries is driven by insurance reimbursements being high for these procedures rather than their effectiveness.
"Why am I still suffering with this pain after weeks, months, or even years?"
We understand you want to be informed before booking a PT appointment or health decision. If you want to know about cost, availability, or if we are a good fit for you, complete an Enquiry Form.
Stop the madness!
The crazy things is research shows physical therapy, exercise and understanding your pain and problem is just as effective as surgery without the side effects.
Instead of masking the problem, the medical profession needs to put a heavy emphasis on empowering patients to do everything in their power to live pain free, healthy, and active lives.
Your back pain is telling you something
Pain is important. Pain tells us there is something wrong in our body. It’s like an alarm system which goes off when there is a potential intruder. Instead of covering your smoke alarm when it’s going off (masking the pain with pills) you’ll likely go and find the source of the fire and put it out. Better yet, you’ll figure out how to put up safeguards in your home to prevent the fire from starting again.
If you want to live pain free, to turn off your alarm system, and do the things you want to do in life, it’s your job to take control of your health care and your life. You are not at the mercy of the side-effect laden pills, injections, and surgeries which only offer short term relief.
There is hope
But here’s the good news. There is hope for anyone suffering from back pain. Even if you’ve had the pain for year (or decades) the solution to your pain may be even simpler than you think.
If you're currently suffering from back pain, here are 6 stories we hear from patients whose back pain is lasting longer than it should.
- You tried stretching and it only helped temporarily.
- You've taken anti-inflammatories which helped temporarily, but did not provide lasting relief.
- You've been to acupuncture, a chiropractor, or even physical therapy elsewhere and didn't find a solution.
- You've been told the pain is due to your age and you need to just accept it.
- You've tried resting and taking it easy, but have been unable to find relief for your back pain.
- You got a massage, which felt really good, but the pain came back a few days later.
If any of these are your story, we would love to invite you to chat on the phone with one of our doctors of physical therapy here at Village to find out what can be done to help you. If you've tried any of the above and they didn't help, it's actually a good thing! It tells you what you shouldn't do going forward.
Click the link below to book a call with us if you would like to get advice over the phone for your back pain. The phone call is complimentary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for the best.
What can I do to get rid of this pain quickly?
- First, you need to take control of your situation. Put yourself in the driver seat of your health. Don't be reliant on any single medical professional. It's your body and you know it best.
- Do the right exercises. There is a bevy of misinformation on the internet about low back pain and what to do about it. Most of it is wrong and some of it is even harmful. Talk to a physical therapist to find out which exercises are best for you.
- Don't just rest. Find pain free activities you can do such as walking, hiking, or riding a bike.
- Get hands on physical therapy. At Village Physical Therapy, we help people with low back pain get pain free. If your back pain is affecting your ability to spend time with loved ones, travel, or enjoy life, physical therapy is the fastest way to get back to doing the things you love.
If you would like to know how the team of doctors of physical therapy at Village Physical Therapy in Glendora can help you live with less back pain we would love to start with a complimentary, no-risk, appointment. Simply click the link below and fill out the form to get started.
“Hear From Happy Patients Of Village Physical Therapy”
Please enjoy watching case-studies of other people just like you who came to see the Physical Therapy team and left much healthier and happier within just a couple of weeks: